Intern with PPEHRC – Our organization is dedicated to cultivating future leaders of activism to facilitate widespread change in their own communities and abroad. As such, it offers several opportunities for internships. Priorities and focus of each internship is developed with the intern and PPEHRC, based on the skills and desires of the person volunteering and the needs of the organization. We want to make the internship fun, exciting, and a powerful learning experience for you. Our interns have found their experience with PPEHRC to be “life-changing.”
If you’re interested in exploring an internship, please fill out this form.
Examples of some of the roles and activities you may participate in are the following:
- Event Secretary
- Responsibilities: Event Secretaries will help plan speaking engagements and events while managing calendars and planners. Speaking engagement planning involves contacting multiple institutions of higher education, social justice organizations, churches (and other places of worship), and more. These engagements are a large source of funding for the campaign and are thus vital to its continuing operation, while also promoting the campaigns interest in educating the public about the prevalence of poverty in America. The Event Secretary will also work with the director of PPEHRC to develop fundraising and community-building events, which will then be handed over to the media managers for advertisement. They also organize, regularly update, and promote event calendars to prevent the conflict of event times and keep the organization running smoothly.
- Skills: Interns will need and refine strong organizational and communication skills to work efficiently in the face of multiple tasks. Proficient use of online calendars and frequent email usage are crucial to the position.
- Fundraising Director
- Responsibilities: Fundraising Directors apply to multiple sources for grants from nonprofits and charitable foundations. In addition, they request donations from several locations to acquire food, heating units, clothing, toys for children, and more. Moreover, when emergency funds are needed, fundraising directors work with media managers to contact as many previous donors and members as possible to secure needed funds. They also will constantly research and develop new events and fundraising ideas to best fund the campaign.
- Skills: Fundraising directors will learn how to write formal donation requests, process federal and state tax forms, efficiently research under pressure, and how to professionally communicate with corporate and personal donors.
- Media Manager
- Responsibilities: Media managers will utilize several of PPEHRC’s contact and media resources to keep potential donors, volunteers, members and the general population up to date on what PPEHRC is accomplishing in the world, in addition to what further assistance the campaign needs and what events will be taking place in the future. Furthermore, managers will create flyers and advertisements for events and distribute them in mass.
- Skills: Interns will learn how to operate important tools such as WordPress and MailChimp newsletters. The duties also require proficient use of multiple social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and other blogs. Graphic design abilities will prove useful for developing flyers and ads that are visually appealing and effective.